The Pennsylvania Apartment Association Central (PAA Central) has retained Sterling Martin Associates to search for its next Executive Director. The position is located in Middletown, a suburb of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Established in 2000, PAA Central is a 501(c)(6) trade association that represents the apartment and rental housing industry in 37 Central Pennsylvania counties. With a mission to Educate, Advocate, Communicate, and Empower, PAA Central serves the multi-family housing industry by providing a forum to utilize and share the collective strengths of its members in order to provide educational, public relations, and government affairs related services that enhance the opportunity for quality rental housing. PAA Central develops and promotes active participation by exchanging ideas via networking events.
PAA Central is a proud member of the National Apartment Association (NAA), and membership in PAA Central includes automatic membership in NAA.
PAA Central has an operating budget of approximately $500,000. Revenue is derived primarily from program services, events and contributions. The organization is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors, including five directors who serve as officers and who make up the Executive Committee. The organization includes seven standing committees which guide PAA Central’s activities. For more information, please visit www.paa-central.com.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of PAA Central is the chief staff executive who has overall responsibility for the management of the Association. The Executive Director recommends and participates in the broad formulation of the Association’s mission, goals, objectives, and related policies and makes decisions within existing policies as they have been approved by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. Within that framework, the Executive Director directs staff and assists with programs, committees, and activities of the Association. The Executive Director maintains effective internal and external relationships. Through management and leadership, the Executive Director achieves economical, productive performance, future programming, and constructive growth of the Association.
Within the limits of the charter and Bylaws of the Association and policies established by the Board of Director, the Executive Director serves as the catalyst and implementer in assuring the steady progress of PAA Central. He or she will be responsive to the multiplicity of member interests while fostering consensus-building within the Association. As the principal staff support to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors, the Executive Director performs the administrative and managerial functions necessary to efficiently operate the Association in the following specific areas:
Strategy and Governance
- In partnerships with the Board of Directors, developing short- and long-term goals and strategies designed for the betterment and growth of the Association.
- Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee and attending all meetings.
- Attending to minutes of all Board and Committee meetings.
- Planning, formulating, and recommending for approval by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors general and administrative policies, procedures, and programs and implementing said documents following approval.
- Executing all decisions of the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors and delegating implementation when appropriate.
- Making periodic reports on the status of the Association as requested by the Board of Directors.
- Serving as staff liaison to all committees and assisting the various committees with organizing, arranging for, executing, and leading PAA Central meetings, programs, conferences, and special events.
Management & Operations
- Managing and administering the operations and general affairs of the Association, pursuant to its Bylaws and policies of the Board.
- Directing the activities of the Association to serve the legislative, educational, and informational needs of PAA Central members.
- Managing, leading, and ensuring a successful legislative effort for the benefit of PAA Central, including working with NAA and/or their lobbying firms in legislative efforts at the local, state, and national level.
- Serving as the principal liaison to NAA and actively participating in the organization’s meetings and activities.
- Assisting in the development of the annual budget and approving expenditures within the limits of the Board-approved budget.
- Ensuring PAA Central’s fiscal health through prudent financial management of resources.
- Maintaining and ensuring the legal integrity of all accounting, financial, tax, insurance, accounting, and bank documents and records.
- Submitting all required reports to the Association’s accounting firm, including, but not limited to bank deposits, check registers, and credit card transactions.
- Serving as liaison to the Association’s accounting firm during periods of tax preparation and audits.
- Recruiting, hiring, and training any paid staff and administering an effective personnel program that includes developing position descriptions, performance standards, performance appraisals, and compensation packages.
- Executing contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors or established policies.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee, developing, recommending, and operating within the annual budget. Ensuring that all records, funds, property, and physical assets of the Association are appropriately safeguarded and administered.
- Providing all necessary records, reports, receipts, payments, and documents to the State and National affiliated organizations, as required.
Membership & External Relations
- Assisting with direct member recruitment in cooperation with the Membership Committee; recommending sound member recruitment and retention programs.
- Overseeing member invoicing and collection to ensure timely collection and distributions.
- Directing basic management and coordination of the affairs, programs, projects and activities of the Association in order to provide the proper level of member services.
- Managing the PAA Central Real Estate School as the designated Director; overseeing and developing classes to ensure that they are in the best interest of the membership as well as being approved by and in conjunction with the State Real Estate Commission.
- Maintaining all records and curriculum information for the School as required by the Real Estate Education Provider License.
- Assisting with the organization and conduct of annual programs, monthly programs, conferences and other events as directed by the Board of Directors, including oversight of all logistics and administrative details.
- Promoting interest and active participation in the Association's activities on the part of the membership and reporting on PAA Central activities through regular channels of communication.
- Planning and overseeing all communications to the general membership.