For over 90 years, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make a lasting positive impact for their community both now and for future generations. As a Research and Evaluation Officer here, you will help the Foundation to gauge progress and assess outcomes of programs and initiatives, and to use information and insights for learning, decision-making, and continuous improvement. The Research and Evaluation Officer also ensures that results and learning are shared and utilized to improve practice both within the Foundation and with external partners and stakeholders.
Key Accountabilities: Support centralized, coordinated highly effective and efficient research and evaluation practices at the Foundation, including:
· Contribute to the development of a centralized approach to research and evaluation to ensure that relevant data and learning from these activities is used to inform learning, decision-making, and continuous improvement
· Contribute to the creation and implementation of meaningful research and evaluation tools and frameworks including:
o Identifying and tracking indicators for organizational effectiveness and continuous improvement in the impact of our grantmaking, initiatives, and Foundation operations,
o Developing research and evaluation RFPs and contracts, vetting research and evaluation consultants and
o Collaborating with lead staff to design outcome reporting methodology and assess ongoing evaluation progress
Support qualitative and quantitative data analyses, including:
Track and respond to institutional research requests for qualitative and quantitative data, document results and resources used
Assist Foundation staff with analysis and evaluation process
Analyze context indicators that affect our strategic decisions and grantmaking
Contribute to identifying, tracking and reporting on progress indicators related to Foundation-wide community investments and organizational effectiveness
Contribute to the development of organization-wide tools and performance reports that provide actionable insights about the Foundation’s work.
Work collaboratively to create evaluative tools and communications for disseminating knowledge and results from evaluations to internal and external audiences.
Engage senior leadership, Board, grantees, staff, Greater Hartford community, policymakers and broader philanthropic and nonprofit fields, by developing a wide variety of materials and presentations
Assist with creating and managing a centralized knowledge management hub for the Foundation’s evaluations and research activities:
Represent the Research and Evaluation Unit at internal and external meetings and events.
· Bachelors or Master’s Degree in social sciences, public or nonprofit administration or public policy.
· Three or more years of experience in research and evaluation design, methodology and instrumentation.
· Demonstrated statistical analysis skills.
· Proven experience with data management and ensuring data quality and integrity.
· Expert level skills in project management.
· Demonstrated experience writing evaluation reports, case studies and other materials.
· Demonstrated excellent communications skills in writing, listening, speaking, presenting and adapting content for a range of audiences.
· Successful experience contributing to organizational learning and in knowledge management.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills that demonstrate openness to new ideas or perspectives; proven ability to collaborate with individuals with significant expertise in specific content areas
· Demonstration of knowledge and skills required to create and sustain organizational equity, diversity, and inclusiveness
· Knowledge of Capitol Region philanthropy and community foundations.
· Demonstrated understanding of the role of philanthropy and the nonprofit community in driving social change.
To apply, please email a cover letter describing how your interests and background match our needs, your salary requirements and your resume: