The American Astronomical Society (AAS), established in 1899 and based in Washington, DC, is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. Its membership of about 7,000 individuals also includes physicists, mathematicians, geologists, engineers, and others whose research and educational interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects comprising contemporary astronomy. The mission of the AAS is to enhance and share humanity’s scientific understanding of the universe. Learn more about our company by visiting our website: aas.org
A tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, the AAS is one of 10 member societies in the American Institute of Physics (AIP), whose mission is to advance, promote, and serve the physical sciences for the benefit of humanity. AIP publishes Physics Today, which is offered to all members of its member societies. AIP also provides authoritative information, services, and expertise in physics education and student programs, science communication, government relations, career services for science and engineering professionals, statistical research in physics employment and education, industrial outreach, and the history of physics and allied fields.
(1) Job Register Responsibilities:
a) Ensure that the AAS policies regarding the Job Register are followed;
b) Provide administrative assistance members and customers using the Job Register; and
c) Maintain the Job Register web pages.
(2) Communications and Website Responsibilities:
a) Maintain the web pages assigned to the Finance Department and CFOO; and
b) Assist the CFOO in ensuring that general office communications are properly disseminated to the staff.
(3) Accounts Payable Responsibilities:
a) Entering Check Requests into the accounting system on a weekly basis,
b) Distributing checks to vendors; and
c) Assisting in the maintenance of vendor records.
(4) General Ledger Responsibilities:
a) Entering journal entries prepared by the finance staff as requested.
(5) Execute administrative functions that include, but are not limited to:
a) Provide administrative Assistance to CFOO;
b) Ordering office supplies and maintaining the inventory;
c) Reviewing and updating select office documents (e.g., calendar, staff lists, and office projects calendar);
d) Preparing and coordinating AAS shipments and mailing for the office;
e) Organizing and maintaining supply room and common workspaces;
f) Filing; and
g) Oversee maintenance of general office equipment, excluding computers and copier.
(6) Provide Administrative Support for the Shapley Visiting Lecture Program.
(7) Creating Daily Check logs.
(8) Provide administrative assistance to the Executive Officer.
(9) Answer incoming calls by responding directly or forwarding to appropriate staff member. Sort and distribute mail daily.
(10) Process emails received by responding directly or forwarding to appropriate staff member.
(11) Serve as the back-up of Membership Services Administrator in his/her absence; which includes batch creation and membership inquires.
(1) Bachelor’s degree is required;
(2) Minimum five years’ experience in executive office environment emphasizing confidentiality and customer service required;
(3) Excellent oral and written communication skills required;
(4) Excellent time management and organizational skills required;
(5) Expert in Word, Excel, Access and electronic communications required;
(6) Ability to execute responsibilities with minimum supervision required; and
(7) Knowledge of Solomon accounting software desired.
Additional Salary Information: $30 per hour starting pay rate
About American Astronomical Society
The American Astronomical Society (AAS), established 1899, is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. The membership (~7,000) also includes physicists, mathematicians, geologists, engineers and others whose research interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects now comprising contemporary astronomy. The mission of the American Astronomical Society is to enhance and share humanity's scientific understanding of the Universe.